Sea Legs




The mind is so funny. Actually it’s sometimes funny, but mostly it's a pain in the ass.  It spins and weaves tall tales and elaborate stories, mostly about me…and my fate, and spends most of its time tying to convince me of the palpability of it’s tapestries…as if to say “look what I’ve made, you’re bound to touch it soon!” And I take its finely woven piece and I drape it over my shoulders, and I wear it. I do life with it wrapped around my neck. And as heavy as it may be, as much as it weighs me down and slows my pace, I find some kind of contorted comfort in its presence. As if by living with fear of the dreaded thing(s), I will somehow be more prepared in the case of it actually coming to life. Sound crazy? It is.
And my heart flutters and the heat rises to my cheeks, and the moment, the one that’s actually real, is stolen away, lost forever.

What is it about uncertainty that the mind hates so much? Why must it replace the unknown with narratives of the future? Why does it dwell on impeding doom, terrorists’ attacks, melting ice caps, disease, and political unrest?

To give the mind some credit, occasionally what it imagines really does happen. Sometimes we live out our worst nightmare. But the difference is, the mind, in its spinning and weaving, always fails to include the grace and peace of God. It never remembers your strength and steadfastness. It forgets that you’re a warrior and an experienced sailor who has already weathered many storms. And in the midst of the battle, I don’t look the way I did in my mind, and either do you. It’s true that bad things happen, but why do we insist on living out these experiences over and over again in our heads when the probability of them coming to pass is small. Like really really small. I mean, take some inventory…how many of the terrors you have imagined have actually happened? For me it’s probably about 0.00001%. And thank God because if not, I would have died a million deaths in fiery car wrecks, roadside bombs, plane crashes, and cliff jumps. I would have been diagnosed with every disease WebMD has to offer, lost everyone I love, grown old alone or not at all, and been a victim of tyranny. Yeah, that has all happened in my mind. Whew!

So why do we fall prey to the minds eye time and time again? Why do we subject ourselves to so much unnecessary suffering?

 The truth is we don’t like uncertainty any less than our minds do and we are seeking a kind of comfort and predictability in all the wrong places. Find a bump? Google it. Hear about a mass shooting across the country? Google it, and make sure to read the whole article then do some background research on the killer. Oh and the tornado in the Midwest, Google that too, and then watch some of the footage on YouTube.

We inundate ourselves with disaster of every kind and give our minds, which are for reasons known and unknown, already prone to disastrous thinking, a mighty foot hold to hang on to.

So shall we bury our heads in butterflies and The Office episodes? No, absolutely not. But when we go into the enemy’s territory, we go in suited up, with a sword in one hand and a flare in the other, ready to fire it off the moment you feel yourself sinking, and your conscious, sensible self will come to the rescue. And sometimes we just don’t go. Sometimes we’re not ready.

And most importantly, we have to get our sea legs. Our sea legs give us the ability to walk steadily on a ship being tossed in the wake of a large and endless sea, with erratic swells swayed by fickle winds. When you have your sea legs you no longer fear the unknown, you’ve come to terms with the flightiness of the open waters, and have even learned to embrace its uncertainty. Because this, the promise of change from one second to the next, is really the only thing you can be sure of. So you live your life in accord with the universe, taking each drum and roll as it comes to you. And come hell or high water, you sail on.


" All that I have seen teaches me to trust the creator for all I have not seen." - 

Ralph Waldo Emerson











No comments

Back to Top